2011 has been quite a year for Indian billionaires. Six more names made the list, bringing the total Indian billionaire population to 55. According to Forbes Magazine, the national economy continues to flourish despite scandal and problems emerging from telecommunications licensing. One noticeable difference between 2010 and 2011 billionaire lists are the omission of familiar names. Approximately 12 new individuals in India currently have a net worth over one billion United States dollars (USD).
Here is a list of the current top 10 Indian billionaires according to an October 2011 article in Forbes Magazine:
- Adi Godrej- Chairman of the Godrej Group, a company with interests in real estate and industrial engineering. Estimated net worth is approximately $7.3 billion USD.
- Sunil Mittal- Chairman and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Bharti Enterprises. Bharti offers telecommunication, software and financial services to countries around the world. Estimated net worth is $8.3 billion USD.
- Anil Ambani- Chairman of Reliance Dhirubhai Ambani Group, with interests in the telecommunications and health sectors. Estimated net worth is approximately $8.8 billion USD.
- Kumar Mangalam Birla- Chairman of Aditya Birla Group, a company with interests in metals and financial services. Estimated net worth is approximately $9.2 billion USD.
- Gautam Adani- Chairman of the Adani Group, an import and trading company. Estimated net worth is approximately $10 billion USD. Adani has the unique distinction of being the first billionaire from Ahmedabad.
- Savitri Jindal- The wealthiest Indian female is a non-executive Chairperson for Jindal Steel and Power and JSW Steel. With nine children, Jindal’s family is slightly larger than her fellow billionaires. Estimated net worth is approximately $13.2 billion USD.
- Shashi and Ravi Ruia- Brothers who founded the Essar Group, a company with interests in steel, communications and shipping. Estimated net worth is approximately $15.8 billion USD.
- Azim Premji- Chairman of Wipro Limited, a company specializing in software development. Estimated net worth is approximately $16.8 billion USD.
- Mukesh Ambani- Brother of Anil Ambani and Chairman of Reliance Industries, a company specializing in petrochemicals and textiles. Reliance is currently known as the largest publicly traded entity in the country. Estimated net worth is approximately $27 billion USD.
- Lakshmi Mittal- Chairman and CEO of ArcelorMittal. The largest steel producer in the world is based in Luxembourg, Germany. ArcelorMittal supplies material to the automotive and construction industries. Estimated net worth is approximately $31.1 billion USD.